more info on what goes on here in McGilly World

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Banana Spiders..... ubbc#15

Phew... almost half way complete on the Ultimate Blog Challenge... 

See this little baby... yes... he's a baby... and building his nest on the wasteland
that is my front porch. Interesting.
At least he is to me, a Brit in South GA who is somehow still unaccustomed to all 
the critters around here, I'm sure there are no spiders this size in rural 
Wiltshire.... you know....near Stonehenge.

I was brave enough (or stupid enough) to get these pictures and then 
destroy his web with a broom and sweep him off the front porch.
Why? you ask....Why deprive him of his lovely home?

Because soon he'll look like this.....
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
I know... scary freakin' monster spider!!!!!!! 

Apparently they are harmless, I took this picture today at a lake where we 
went fishing, we counted about nineteen of them!!! 
No one was harmed, they didn't chase us or try and trap us in their
queen sized webs, they were just very interesting to look at. 

We all squealed a little when there was one dangling overhead and we had 
no choice to but run under him... eeewwwww... other than that 
it was an opportunity to take a great picture!!!! They are actually almost the size
of my six year olds hand.... for real!!!! 

I'm becoming quite the critter clicker, who'da thunk it!!! 

9 comments:

Liz Mays said...

You can't be too careful, right? I'd have moved his home too!

McGillicutty said...

I know... but look at that face!! I kinda felt bad, like I did when I almost killed the baby bird..sigh.

rxBambi said...

SPIDER KILLER!!

actually I'm kind of afraid hell will be me surrounded by everything I've killed...wasps, spiders, ants, bloggers....

Ashley Sisk said...

I do not like spiders...not at all, but I like looking at pictures!

Brian Miller said...

can you feel those eight legs...on your back...yikes! lol. nice captures...cool loking web in the first shot...

Barb said...

We had a beauty like that one at our house in Alabama. I insisted that everyone leave it alone 'cause I loved the web so much. I think I read that they destroy their web each night and rebuilt it each day.

Travel & Dive Girl said...

Hello - First, thanks for visiting my blog and commenting.

Great photos of the spiders. I don't really mind spiders, but I don't necessarily want them in or near my house. It's a mutual respect thing...

Have a great day!

Unknown said...

ok... I am guaranteed to have dreams about creepy spiders now! I don't care how beautiful or lovely or environmentally wonderful they are - SPIDERS CREEP ME OUT!!!! BLEH!!!!!

Unknown said...

I love the pictures of the spiders! I used to be afraid of them but then one summer we had several bannana spiders take up residence in our gardens and I couldn't help but become enthralled.

Previous Ramblings....