more info on what goes on here in McGilly World

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Lots to do....


OK this is rediculous... I think I have a rare disease, one which you know you have things to do but you are not absolutely happy until you have zero time left in which to get them done! At that point I will hyperventilate, break out in a red blotchy mess at the base of my neck/top of my collar bone, I'll sweat profusely and then have to go pee a thousand times.

We have a ton of people coming over tonight and I can't seem to muster the energy to clean the house,(which has been totally massacred this week by kids and sitters) prepare food for said guests or organize the furniture outside to accommodate everyone. Here's the interesting part of it.... since turning 40 I really don't give a shit. If they are my true friends they won't care about how it all looks and if they are not... then I don't care what they think!! However, I wouldn't be a good host if I let them come into my home without showing some prep work had obviously been done now would I??? So it's not that I care what they think but it's that I do have some pride and want them to think my house is always so clean and beautiful... the answer??? shortcuts people shortcuts.

Firstly... fresh flowers, if I get a couple of cheap bunches of seasonal beauties from Publix it will draw attention away from the fact I am using paper plates and plastic cups.. right? Votives, votives and more votives, this will detract from the corners where I didn't quite reach with the duster or the mop. I will have to tie hubby's hands to his side so he will keep away from the 'big light" switch. He tends to over light the situation when we have company. And finally, create a diversion.... hire a magician or comedian or something so that people will go outside into the back yard and not be milling around the house looking for untidyness!!!!!!

Awesome.... Sydney has just been reading over my shoulder and likes my plan!!!! Go Syd, Go Syd.... I think she's just excited because she really thinks I am going to hire a magician or something...that's what we have her sister for!!!!!!

Wish me luck... here I go.

8 comments:

Jeannette said...

Hilarious!! Had to laugh out loud about the hubby being tied up! ;)
I only invite people who are even lazier than me in the household department....they think that I´m a super housewife! ;)
Good luck tonight and I bet you they will love your party!

julochka said...

this disease is called procrastination. and it's a lovely disease from which there is no cure, but which i did once write a post about, saying why it was a good thing. http://julochka.blogspot.com/2009/02/from-where-i-sit.html

quick synopsis: i procrastinate in order to get in touch with my innermost creative self. :-)

lay that one on your guests...

McGillicutty said...

Ummm that has to be it, when they get here I will be full of creative conversation and ideas to entertain them. So far I have managed to put a table cloth on the table and read some more wonderful blogs. C'est la vie!!!

Unknown said...

Yes, I do that too. There is a group on Facebook called I procrastinate because I work better under pressure. It's the first Facebook group I joined.
I'm looking forward to turning 40 if it means I won't care anymore! You go, girl!

Mari Mansourian said...

this disease must be spreading around the world very fast, I've been suffering from it for years, but I love you ideas.... votives huh?
good luck, hope you have some fun while you're at it. :)

Lins said...

It was fabulous...and I thought your house was spic and span. Way to go!!! :-) Love you!

McGillicutty said...

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!! I have been so busy this weekend haven't had time to blog!! I am having withdrawals!!

spudballoo said...

PMSL at 'the big light', only a Brit uses a phrase like that. I'm rushing at 40 like a crazed loon and I care less about how my house looks. Also, since we moved out of London a few months ago for the country I care a LOT less again...I can't fight the constant mud/dead animals in the house. Plus, no drop in guests. It's win win ;-)

Previous Ramblings....