more info on what goes on here in McGilly World

Friday, October 9, 2009

Hello, My name is McGilly and I need a donation....



I am on a deadline, I am feeling stressed, I know it's going to work out in the end but right now there's a feeling of panic setting in.  You see, for some insane reason I volunteered to be the Chair person for the Junior Service League Annual Cowboy Ball.  For those of you not here in the US the JSL is a group of do gooding women who come together and plan fundraisers for one thing or another.  My particular group of do gooders concentrates on local children's charities and we do some fantastic things for the kids in the community.

There are only two weeks left until the big night, and yes folks, it is a big night. There's a country and western band, a bbq dinner, a mechanical bull and the money maker.....the live and silent auction.  This is where we hope to make people part with their hard earned cash for the sake of the children. The ladies of the JSL have been hard at work trying to get auction items, we have gift certificates for beauty spas, restaurants, hairdressers you name it.  There are also sports items, autographed footballs, gym memberships blah blah blah. If a Hunt or a Skeet Shoot is what you're after, you're in luck (I hope!).


I have been trying to pull this off but of course there are hitches, we're not on the economical high of previous years and it's hard to get people to commit... and who can blame them. But it for the kids!!! So I'm working the phones, I'm wracking my brains, I'm pulling my hair out. And this morning at 4:10am I am lying awake thinking of what else we can do!!!!

Just pray for me, please!!!! I am confident it will all be OK on the night but I need a little boost so if you have any ideas... for the love of Pete... or me... share them!!!! If you're reading this and you have a condo on the beach or a cabin in the mountains that you willing to donate for a long weekend then please let me know. Come on bloggers.... lets unite for the cause!! it's a tax write off for goodness sake, not to mention the amount of free publicity you'll get here in South GA.

OK pitch over, watch this space, I'll be reporting on the progress and of course the night itself in the weeks to come. Much love y'all!!!!!

7 comments:

Barb said...

Yeah! I'm not sleeping either, so I get to be first. Well, I've got nothing to donate. But I'll pray for ya. Bambi is one of those do gooders too. Try hitting her up for ideas! Good luck.

tori said...

I just went to one of these a couple weeks ago and the secret for them was alcohol. Lots and lots of alcohol. After large amounts of the alcohol has been consumed then you start the auction. I've never seen so many drunk people bidding! Some didn't even know they were bidding! Many spent way more than they would have if they had been sober!
Seriously, I will pray for you!!!

spudballoo said...

Oh how do you have time for all this stuff!! I'm not great on ideas, but there is a trend for 'money can't buy' type prizes in the UK at such events. Private view of a stately home or gallery normally close to the public, or opening a gallery just for the winning bidder etc etc.

x

Anonymous said...

here's my email: savannahggourmet@aol.com - i don't have yours so email me - don't think i can do the tybee thing and i'll explain why, but i could do a gift basket? does that help?

Anonymous said...

oh fuck! it's savannahgourmet@aol.com - typo above - don't drink your wine before you visit blogs

Green-Eyed Momster said...

Nice to meet you today! Thanks for the follow. I'm following you too!
I'm wishing you the best of luck!
Hugs!!

rxBambi said...

I think all donations are down this year. It's kinda scary out there for those of us that have to beg. Good luck and I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Maybe you could find a hot cowboy who'd auction off a night of riding...
him


:)