more info on what goes on here in McGilly World

Saturday, August 27, 2011

So you think you can weather the storm...

Hurricane Irene is ravaging the East Coast of the US, in particular Nags Head North Carolina as I post....I have never been to the coast of NC but it's on my list of places to see. High on that list, just not this weekend!

Its riveting, I can't seem to keep myself away from the weather channel... I think it's because it's so ridiculous....  TV peeps get themselves out there in the mash-up and broadcast live while they're have their hair literally ripped from the follicles by the winds and their faces sandblasted... yes with SAND! What makes these people think they're above it all?  Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they do because I love to just how bad it gets but I can't explain my fascination with it all. I think it's the frustrated roving reporter in me... in another life I would be that person coming to you live from the eye of the storm!!! I'd be there teetering at thirty degrees trying to find the words to sensationalize the situation...hooorahhh!!!

I tried it once, I know... idiot.  I have blogged about it before but it's worth repeating.... when a hurricane comes to town (unless you are a weather channel reporter) stay in a safe place and let it pass. Do not, repeat, do not head out in your little Jeep and try to get action shots of the storm ripping apart your hometown. It's not a wise thing to do and you'll realize that fact when the pine tree topples and hits your Jeep and scares the freakin' bejesus outta ya!!!!! Ever wondered what goes through your mind when something dramatic like that happens??? As I recall it was literally "HOLY SHIT!!" We were fine and I remained calm, the worst part was that I had the hubby and kids with me, and I felt like a complete asshole putting my kids in danger like that but the wonderful thing about me... I learn from my mistakes. I will never, ever do that again...no never!!!  Oh and just to clarify, we actually live inland, yes inland, these storms are not to be messed with, if you're on the coast... get outta Dodge!!!!

My hope is that Irene will not be as bad as the dramatists are forecasting and that she will have mercy on the East coast... I am going to keep one eye on the Weather Channel while I go about my Saturday morning business of laundry and blogging... a fabulous combination I know.. don't you wish you had my life!!!




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! Hubby and I have been laughing at it all (hopefully not prematurely) but from what they've been showing and reporting, it appears to be a bunch of sensationalism. If a reporter can go out in the midst of the storm and stand next to the shore line (even if he is being pelted to death by rain), in no way can it be the "storm of epic proportions" they are making it out to be.

Anonymous said...

P.S. We were in Destin a couple of weeks ago and experienced a scary storm that seemed worse than what they have been showing!

Mike said...

I am about 30 miles from the eye of the storm at this very moment!

Liz said...

I am obsessed with natural disaster things!

Ellie said...

Hope the storm loses strength before much damage is done.
I know when it is really windy here I would love to go down to the beach and watch the waves crashing in - not done it when very stormy - there is something fascinating about it - I think anyway. Lol

Brian Miller said...

i am hoping it is not nearly as bad...saw the first death this morning...and its a couple hours away from me...going to call otin now and check on him....

Reena said...

Doesn't seem quite the storm they need for the sensationalism they want. Funny. But all in all, best to get the folks away from the area. Hasn't gotten to Philly yet but like you, watching CNN continually report. LOL!

Ducky said...

For the longest time I wanted to be a storm chaser....we do tornadoes in these here parts :o) I still secretly think it would be a heartpoudning blast!