more info on what goes on here in McGilly World

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The 90th Annual Rose Cluster...

This is the week that my lovely little town has it's annual Rose Parade & Festival, the highlight (yes another one) of the social calendar in SW Georgia. It's also the week the schools choose to give the kids their annual "what did you learn this year" test and the week before His Gorgeousness's birthday and therefore the week before the week before Syd the Kid's birthday.

Keeping up? no me neither.  What with Easter this weekend and the decision still to be made whether we travel to spend time with family in Florida... and the kids being excited about the upcoming celebrations I don't know how I can fit it all in. Seems like we just fly from one hectic activity or holiday right into another with not so much as a reflection or a stop to take it all in. What's the damn point in that, where's the ebb and flow??? seems like it's all flow... someone please slow this ferris wheel down before I puke!!!

That's the thing about this Rose Show, it's a lovely event and well worth a visit but why the heck it has to be on this specific weekend I don't know. I don't have one  moment to properly plan and even envision us out there in our lawn chairs watching the parade go by. We tend to wait 'til the last minute, drive downtown and squeak into a pretty shitty parking spot, clamber to what may or may not be a good vantage point, forget to take cash for the cotton candy, drinks and snacks. Inevitably someone has to go to the bathroom or has a blister, or whines about being hungry/hot/uncomfortable etc etc etc. I will forget my camera or better yet remember the camera and forget the batteries/memory card and be pissed I can't record this joyous family occasion. The parade will pass by followed by hoards of teenagers etc getting on my nerves barging past us as we trundle back to the car, the kids will want to go eat somewhere and I will need a very, very large Martini!!!! But oh what a lovely memory we will have.

I'm half way through the week and feeling pretty exhausted already, I had a major breakdown in sense of humor last week following a rough bout of bronchitis. This week I'm trying to get back to my normal self but it's taking some effort. I'm trying to avoid an utterly messy melt down in front of the whole town on Friday night when it all just becomes too much for me.  Should we just skip it?  Oh do you really think the little Misses are gonna let that happen??? Oh well ... better grab the one a day multi-vitamins and make a plan. If it's gonna happen, I better prepare for it so I can come out on the other side unscathed.... watch this space.

p.s.  Anyone know when we can stop attending these things???

The Big Oak, Downtown Thomasville taken by yours truly.

5 comments:

Char said...

sorry man - it sucks trying to do stuff like this when you're not feeling great. i hope you have a good time regardless.

Brian Miller said...

skip it! i give you permission...

Little Ms Blogger said...

You need to go with your gut. If you hesitate over doing something than you really don't want to do it.

Remember, whatever you do for fun you should enjoy and not worry about what's next.

Indiri Wood said...

Pre-parade martini instead of post? Then it could be alright. Hehe.

Hope the exhausted passes quickly.

spudballoo said...

Jeez. Skip it! Doesn't sound like it's essential. Poor you xxx