more info on what goes on here in McGilly World

Monday, November 28, 2011

Third time's a charm...

I have prepared a couple of blog posts this past few days but can't seem to get them right.... I think I'm up against too much lately to organize my thoughts and share them.  The first was about our Thanksgiving... but honestly it was a good day 'n all but nothing spectacular to write home about. No offense to the family, its just that every other blog says things like good company, good food, lots to be thankful for... I'm sick to death of hearing it this year...but that is totally my problem not yours. My attitude sucks right now.

You want to know what makes me truly thankful? That we even have a roof over our heads.  There's a TV news program on Sunday nights here in the States called 60 minutes and last night they did a story on homeless kids in Florida; I was trying to blog but it caught my attention and gave me a lump in my throat the size of a 20lb turkey. These families were living in trucks and cars because they had lost their homes due to the never freakin' ending recession. Their unemployment had run out, they had been made homeless and rather than lose the kids they packed up and slept in their cars and remained for all intents and purposes "normal" during the day. It's heartbreaking that this is happening.... absolutely heartbreaking.  So ... I am thankful that we do have a roof over our heads, and we  may not be able to keep up with the Jones' but we're not in a truck worrying about the safety of our kids at night.  I cannot fathom the despair that the parents feel when there is just no apparent way out of a situation like that..... and Kim Kardashian fakes a marriage for millions... PULEASE!!!!

You can check out the piece HERE.

Anyway.... don't mean to be a dolly downer... just can't seem to help but feel so helpless and sad at the way this country is headed right now. Yet on and on we see sparkly glittery things we just can't live without!!!! Put down those iPhones people... Apple doesn't need  your money... the homeless in Florida do. Imagine how it would help them if you kept your old phone which is actually perfectly functional, and spent that $200-$400 on some carpentry work on your house, or a little landscaping maybe, and the guy doing the work could feed his kids for a few days.  Just a pie in the sky notion and I know it's not going to happen but in the meantime I can dream. That is all.

3 comments:

Ducky said...

I don't think its being a downer at all to talk or think that way. We become horribly ungrateful for all the things we have. Its a good reminder of our blessings.

This year I'm trying to make gifting purchases from local artists or businesses instead of big corporations. A gift certificate for my mom to the gal she loves to get pedicures from seems like a good idea. It puts money in the pocket of a local business girl AND something I know my mom will love. Its not much in the grand scheme of things, but if more people shopped that way, it may make a difference.

Brian Miller said...

saw that on 60 minutes...ugh...defputs life into perspective eh?

KLZ said...

As you saw from me today, I really don't put a high value on stuff. Although I do spend more on food than I shyould. That money could help some people out...