more info on what goes on here in McGilly World

Monday, January 24, 2011

Date Night...

The beloved and I had a little date night on Friday thanks to some wonderful kind generous peeps who graciously hosted our kids for the night! Score! It rarely happens that they both have sleep overs on the same night so when it does we don't waste it people... get your minds out of the gutter. I mean we do something that we both like to do.... eat!!! This time though I had the idea of doing it a little differently, instead of going out to eat I found a new recipe online and we cooked together while enjoying a bottle of wine.

There's something so wonderful about cooking a meal, sharing a culinary experience over a glass or two of wine and then relaxing without interruption.  His Gorgeousness and I have completely different ideas and approaches to cooking so it's usually an interesting hour or so when we decide to tackle something new together in the kitchen. He's more of a follow the instructions kinda guy and me... well not so much. We drive each other nuts with the banter and playful arguments as to how we should get to the glorious end result, he doesn't understand the bit of this and bit of that approach and I don't understand why he has to be so stubborn about preheating the oven!!!!!!! I guess you can tell a lot about a person if you get the opportunity to cook with them before you go any further into the relationship. Everyone should do it before they commit; I mean what if you were to marry a guy you'd never cooked with, and then after the nuptials you get to that moment when the inevitable happens and someone whispers those three little words "what's for dinner?"... and you each discover that the other is a ..... culinary virgin!!! Never has cooked a proper nutritious meal for another human being and heating a Chinese take away the next morning in the microwave does not count!!!!

Does a man look for that Iron Chef quality in a woman and does he do it consciously? Does he tell himself when he sees that hottie across the room "man she looks fierce and I bet she cooks a mean Chicken n Dumplins". Or would it go something like this, he meets a girl, gets to know her and really likes the way things are going then discovers she can't cook... would he dump her or overlook that particular shortcoming and go for it anyway. Best scenario would be that at least one of the two would be a fantastic cook and agree to be the major chef in the union, leaving the other free to use a different skill set in another area of the domestic playing field such as laundry or gardening. And lets reverse the situation, is it always the girl who should be the  cook? I know plenty of lucky ladies who have their significant others rattling pots and pans on a regular basis because he's the stronger of the two in that department. These days it's so hard to provide a decent meal and it's becoming more of an effort to find fresh, un-monkeyed with food that appeals to all the family. If you happen to have a talent in that area you are blessed my friend... blessed.

Anyway... getting back to the Big Man and myself in the kitchen, I happen to think we approach cooking as we do the rest of our lives together. We blend our skills, we share our ideas and we work as a team. It's irritating at time to see him carefully measure out a teaspoon when I would just eyeball it and I'm sure it drives him crazy when I take a short cut but as long as we reach the desired end result we're both happy and we can  relax and enjoy the process. I'm working on my marriage, I'm consciously committing to being a better partner to my husband. It's taken me a long time to get to this point, it really has, we have never had a time where either of us wanted to totally throw in the towel but there are definitely highs and lows. Recently I came to the realization that only by spending intentional time together will be regain the excitement of the pre-kid years. Going to a restaurant and sitting opposite each other isn't the answer for us... there's nothing there to stimulate conversation and we're probably not going to engage in animated story telling because we're surrounded by others so we, my friends, are opting for the more hands on approach to dates. Like cooking in the kitchen for a start. We  work well as a team and bonding over a little project is our little personal recipe for success, I truly enjoyed our stay-date on Friday and I'm looking forward to a few more. Who knows maybe we'll go all "Ghost" on you and get Sydney's potters wheel out one night!!! or maybe not.

And in other news... my camera is still injured and I haven't yet found a Nikon Hospital close to home, however, I could not pass up the opportunity to snap these little fella's the other day. Cute huh???? I used my little Kodak and although it felt kinda weird I like the result. Yay.

6 comments:

Brian Miller said...

i hear you on the intentional time...we went through this struggle recently...'we' are now a priority...yes, as much if not more than the kids...

yay for date night...we just got back from a date weekend...oh yeah...and the food was great...smiles.

McGillicutty said...

Ohh yeah it's definitely great to be a parent but greater to be a spouse!
and whoop whoop on the date Weekend!!! I would love a whole weekend away!!

Char said...

i do believe that time focused on each other is essential to a couple

Coffeypot said...

…Does he tell himself when he sees that hottie across the room "man she looks fierce and I bet she cooks a mean Chicken n Dumplins"…John Pinetta or Gabriel Iglesias maybe.

Me, and most of the men I know, are thinking, “I wonder if she can lock her ankles behind her ears…”

And I do strongly believe in special dinners together...at the Waffle House.

Anonymous said...

That post made me go all arghhhhhhhh

Hmmm I'm also thinking I should stop using the takeaway style of cooking :)

The Bumbles said...

Well, I can vouch for there being men who overlook the lack of cooking skills. I cannot cook anything. The only time I use the kitchen is to get a beer out of the fridge or to bake something for a party. That's it. If he goes out of town and there aren't leftovers in the fridge, I order takeout. He cooks all of our meals - AND he grocery shops and does the dishes! I am very blessed. In return, I handle all the finances, clean the house, do the laundry, run errands and anything else that doesn't have anything to do with mowing the lawn or taking out the garbage. We are a good team - very similar in personalities so there aren't too many disputes about how things should be done. Good for you for creating time together that makes the most of the opportunity.